Tuesday, December 28, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...part II

Silly me almost didn't post an entry today.  I am exhausted and still in a bit of pain from the fall.  I head to the doctor tomorrow for a follow up appointment.  Should be interesting to see what she has to say.  We've also been trying to get the last bits and pieces out of the country house this week.  The movers came this afternoon and brought over the big pieces of furniture for all of our bedrooms plus the guest room to the city house.  All that is left are a few closets and cabinets to empty as well as some cleaning to do.  It is going to be a busy 24 hours leading up to a 10 am walk through with our renters on December 30 but it will certainly be worth it in the end.

But what is another one of my favorite antique things you might ask?  This is not a common one but I have an interest in it since we have two that were left behind in the dream home: antique radiators.  Yes, strange but true!  We have one small one that has been stored in a closet.  It is very plain and simple but I would still like to find out how old it is.  The other is quite ornate and unfortunately stuck in our master bathroom.  It was against the wall in our master bedroom but the flooring guys managed to slide it from the wall to the bathroom by using the moving rugs that were stuffed underneath it by a previous homeowner.  We have been told by other that the previous owners were under the impression the radiator still has water in it.  Yikes!  Not only is it cast iron but it also weighs a ton.  In a perfect world, we hope to move it downstairs and place it under the stairwell like this:
The one we have is even and would make a great console table with a thick piece of glass on top.  I love the quote from one Web site I have found regarding antique radiators, "radiators aren’t just hunks of junk, they are works of art we are salvaging from the past.." That is why I would like to salvage the one we have.  Despite some poor attempts to repaint it, the radiator is in great shape and it has beautiful ornate pipes.  It is very similar to this one:


Once again, if I ever locate that flipping USB cord for my camera, I will post some of my own pictures.  I would love to have a company like A1 New & Used Plumbing and Heating (located in Union Square, Massachusetts) tell me more about this "work of art" that has been left behind in our home.  Perhaps I can email them some pictures soon to see what they think?  I wonder if it is original to the home.  Now that would be an amazing discovery if so!
One more favorite tomorrow :0)....

No comments:

Post a Comment