Monday, August 23, 2010

Ink well dry?

I should be blogging and I haven't been.  It isn't that I haven't had anything to write about that is for certain.  The comedy of errors called our journey with a warranty company could hit the drama best seller list I am sure if I just put my mind to it.  At times it has been overwhelming, depressing and down right disappointing.  After 31 days of submitting information, waiting, having second and third estimates done, then waiting again, we were given a final answer from our company.  They will not cover the job but out of pity (perhaps?) they are going to give us $500 towards the job out of the supervisor's discretionary account.  I am trying to be positive about this.  Some is better than none, even if the job is much more than that.  My husband has now taken on the task of dealing with these oh-so-wonderful people.  I wish him the best.  I personally cannot play with them any longer.  They have briefly sucked the enthusiasm out of me and I really don't appreciate it at all. His chapter with them begins tomorrow. 

In an effort to close my eyes and turn my back on the exposed pipes in the office ceiling, I have turned to shopping.  Well, window shopping rather than actually buying.  Until we lose one of our two house payments, it is a necessity to be even more frugal than we typically are on a day-to-day basis. However, I have found some really great bargain stores and potential steals in my midst.  This is a new, fun scavenger hunt.  From the "free" section on Craigslist to the church thrift stores that line the road leaving the Marietta Square, I have found some great places to shop without sinking a small fortune into things such as curtains and the rods that hold them.  Whoever came up with the pricing on curtain rods should be shot.  What a complete rip off! Over $50 for a pole that may or may not be wood.  I need to come up with a scheme such as this to help fund my renovation projects. Of course, you have heard me rant about curtain rods before...sorry!  At an antique store that is downsizing, I discovered some custom window treatments for the kitchen eating area.  The day I scored these beauties I was on a bargain high.  Three treatments for less than $35.  They were marked down from over $140! I knew God was looking after me that day and my sinking spirits when He placed those bad boys in my path.  I saw them, measured, then rushed home to measure the window and french doors in question.  When they were a perfect match, I was elated.  If I can keep finding things like that, the plumbing issue won't seem "as" bad...for now!

Today was a bit bittersweet as my daughter started preschool.  I really wanted to be moved into the new home by the day she started but alas, some things are not meant to be.  I am looking forward to the weekend ahead as my husband and I have decided to start painting the kitchen and dining room as well as my daughter's room if all goes well.  Labor Day is just around the corner and we plan to start moving some things from the old house into 1910 Dream Street.  This lull will pass and our excitement will return.  That warranty company is not going to steal my joy for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment